Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Thursday Things I Love: The Art of the Japanese Nap

Living here is so entertaining. The first time around I just did not do a good enough job writing down all the things about living here that make me smile in a day (and there are lots!) Luckily I'm getting a do-over!

So from now on I'm dedicating Thursdays to "Things I Love" (about living in Tokyo). Some will be big, some quite small, but there are so many things I want to look back and remember one day. Why Thursdays? It sounds better with "Things" (snagged that from you Faith ;) Enjoy!

Today is dedicated to the Japanese nap, which can only be described as an art form. Here you constantly see people taking naps. The train (the most popular napping locale), the office, the mall, a restaurant, wherever. Heck even the sidewalk. Not only is napping anywhere and everywhere completely acceptable here in Japan, its actually encouraged! It shows you're tired (from working so hard of course). 12 hour days (no matter the profession) are the norm here. And most people commute into Tokyo from far away distances.

There's even a specific term to describe this practice, its called inemuri, meaning- "sleeping while present." Of course, there are strict rules to inemuri in the workplace. For instance, only those high up or low down in a company are allowed to nap at work. And, you must remain upright at all times, which shows that you are still socially engaged (I found that little tidbit on the internet.)

If only I had more discreet photo taking skills, because there have been about one million awesome sleeping photos I could have taken, particularly on the train or most recently- at the mall. Because for the most part they don't just put their heads down and discreetly catch some zzz's, they PASS THE HECK OUT. As Melanie always said, "if only there was a camera in the back of my eye..."

Here's the few that I have captured:
This one was when we were skiing up in Nagano (first time we lived here).

This was just recently at the zoo. Andrew's giving me the stink eye here for attempting this one.

Took this one this morning. There's another guy passed out in the driver's seat.

And here are others that are not mine but that I've come across or found on the internet. Type "Japanese napping" into google and you'll be able to keep yourself entertained for awhile!







And my personal favorite:

Not to fear if you're not down with the public sleeping thing. Tokyo is also home to "napping salons" and "capsule hotels" where you can rent out your own little capsule to grab a quick siesta (they rent by the 1/2 hour or hour). Looks cozy!

4 comments:

Ashley said...

Can you PLEASE continue the playground parent fashion show as well? love those!

Melanie Smith said...

she's not kidding people - this is a daily occurence!

Faithcola said...

This will be something great to look forward to on Thursday's! i forgot about the napping public. Love this!

Faithcola said...

This will be something great to look forward to on Thursday's! i forgot about the napping public. Love this!