Thursday, March 17, 2011

Thailand Pics

There's two Julies going on right now. One is just completely and utterly dazed and grief stricken. I watch CNN and the images are physically nauseating. They'll haunt me forever. It's been the pictures of the kids- babies and toddlers being checked for radiation etc, that send me into instant tears. Connor has been asking why Mommy is crying. At first I told him it's because I slipped and fell (just came to my mind first) but then he threw himself down on the ground and (crying now) said "Look Mommy, I fell too! I'm hurt just like you!" So now I just say Mommy is very sad but I'll be ok. We've been keeping in touch with Andrew's co-workers, etc back in Tokyo. They're almost all staying put, that's their home and their country. We've been especially aching for the Hayashi family (sons are Kenta and Kouta, ages 3 and 1). We're just praying that things will start to get better, it feels like they can't get worse. We're praying for the victims and all the heroes- the rescuers and esp. those that are working inside those reactors- they know they're receiving what are sure to be lethal doses of radiation but they are still working. As I've said before, the Japanese are just such an incredible people. There's a reason there's been no looting or panic there. It's just not in their nature. Apparently the US is evacuating Americans to safehaven locations now, once again, we are so thankful that we left when we did.

The other Julie is trying to pretend everything is a-okay and to have fun with the kids on our "vacation." We all finally got a good night's sleep last night (Connor only woke up once having a nightmare). It was such a good idea to come here and has provided a much needed distraction although it feels strange to be in paradise when so many back in Tokyo are suffering. The resort where we're staying is really awesome- its the most popular "family" resort (JW Marriott). It's an added perk that (I guess since its a Marriott?) everything here is in English. We've actually run into a few more families seeking refugee here from Tokyo. One Mom that I recognized from having seen at the Tokyo American Club is here by herself with her three young boys. Her husband is still back in Japan. No freaking way! Connor played at the pool today with his friend Nicolas from Tokyo. It's been nice to see some familiar faces. The Thai people are incredibly friendly and they love kids. Several times we've been out to eat and the waitresses have whisked Leyla away to show her off. As long as she's in sight I certainly don't mind! That must be an Asian thing (taking your baby away when you're out to eat)-- it's happened to us in Tokyo before too. And not sure if its babies in general, white babies, or just my baby, but we get swarmed easily walking around with Leyla. The Thais try and get her attention by clucking and making popping noises (that must be a Thai thing because we've not seen that one before). It's pretty funny. Anyway, here's a bunch of pictures from yesterday and today. Figured those at home would like to see the kiddoes having some fun!

Connor throwing rocks in the Indian Ocean!

It's nice having some room to spread out.


Big jump.



Again, such a family friendly hotel. We hit this up after naps this afternoon.


We picked this swim thing up for Connor at the hotel gift shop. It's a floatie thing on the top half.

Don't hassle the Hoff.

Look, no hands!

Leyla in her St. Paddy's Day green (which admittedly was pure coincidence).

The craziest storm clouds rolled in this evening but it never rained.



Awesome.

Connor watching them light the fires in the water.

My fam ;)

The food here is amazing. Best pad thai ever!

Tired and heading back to our room. Connor's face is covered in ice cream.

As always, thank you so much to those keeping up with us. The love and support we've received from family and friends back home has been incredible. For a million reasons, we are so blessed.

2 comments:

Joanne said...

As always sending you all our love.

Melanie Smith said...

Yeah! - the pictures are gorgeous and I'm happy to hear you guys are getting some rest and relaxation. Ironically or not, that's where Jason and I stayed when we went. That place is gorgeous. If I remember correctly, there's a beautiful infinity pool?!?! Enjoy the rest of your time there and have a safe flight back!