Wednesday, March 23, 2011

The Game Plan

Ah Japan. I'd like to think we will go back eventually. Another reason we wanted to come down here is that we were (hoping) that after a week + here that maybe, just maybe (miraculously) - the crazy things happening in Japan right now would blow over (literally) and we might be able to return there from here. We were really loving our life there. While we were far away from family and friends (and that was not fun), the quality of our immediate family life was amazing. Andrew had no night calls, no travel and no commute. He was around every morning and would walk Connor to school on school days. He was home for dinner on average 3 out of 5 nights. On the weekends we had no chores to do, no house to take care of- we could just do whatever we want and hang out together. Connor went to a wonderful international preschool that he adored and we didn't have to pay for. We had a regular sitter that we loved and Andrew and I's Saturday night social life was the best its (ever?) been. We had financial security. We were starting to make friends. We loved our apartment and our neighborhood. And Tokyo itself- it's an extraordinary city. And as I've already mentioned, the Japanese are just the most incredible people imaginable. My point-- life for us in Japan certainly did not suck.

Sadly things do not appear to be getting there. While there was a glimmer of hope last night that things were at least stabilizing at the nuclear plants, today we learned about high levels of radiation found in the water. Levels declared harmful to babies if they were to drink it. Andrew spoke with some of his co-workers this afternoon- people that have been completely calm throughout everything that has happened there recently- but this has them freaked out. Don't mess with the water. Especially when there is already a shortage of bottled water. Our hearts, as always, ache for the Japanese and everything they've had to endure recently. And so we (obviously) know that going back to Tokyo is not an option for us whatsoever right now.

We've been talking to a lot of the other Tokyo "refugees" here at the hotel yesterday and today and people are mixed as to their game plan. Several families plan to return to Tokyo this weekend. It's basically business as usual there now. Most of them have kids in middle and high schools there (which all reopen on Monday) and so its a bigger deal for them to just up and leave for awhile. Another family here with a young child is going back home to the US this weekend. It's not easy getting back to the US from here by the way (we're really freaking far away from home!)- their flight plan is to go from Phuket to Bangkok to Seoul and then finally to Chicago.

Our plan
: On Friday morning we'll leave from here and fly back to Hong Kong (3 hours). We'll spend the night there and then leave on a Sat. evening flight to JFK (timing wise it wasn't possible to do both legs in one day and we think breaking it up like that will be good for us anyway). We wanted to be sure to take a night flight so that the kids will sleep a good chunk of that 16 hour flight. Sixteen freaking hours! And then the real fun begins (jet lag, getting ourselves set up). Thankfully my Mom will be coming up on Sunday morning (thank you Mom!!!) to help us with the kids. Having a non-jetlagged person around to help and watch them so that we can be out and about getting the things we need asap will be instrumental.

There are many silver linings to coming home right now though. First and for most- we're returning to the United States of Awesomeness! We are SO looking forward to seeing our family and friends!! Connor is such a big boy now and Leyla's at such a fun baby age so I'm so excited for everyone to get to see them. Looking forward to playdates with my girlfriends and their babies (Claire-we're coming at you first girlfriend!) and nights out with the girls (already in the works!) AND my two best friends are both having babies in the next several weeks so I'm excited I'll get to see their babies when they are still itty bitty! And then there's the obvious- driving my car, trips to Target, CVS, Whole Foods, the farmers market, etc. and getting myself and the kids some new clothes with no problem, etc. A mom of one of Connor's old classmates in New Canaan has organized a soccer class for the kids in his class so I'm hoping to get him involved in that. And maybe even back in his old class. Routine is key for this boy. I have no doubt we'll be up and running again in no time.

We definitely haven't written Tokyo off forever, although once I'm home and the kids and I are through the jetlag, (I'm a total pansy when it comes to jetlag- there's very little I loathe more in life) I think it's going to be a while before I'm going to want to turn around and go back again. But I do think that eventually, we will go back. No giving up on Japan over here! Not to mention- that's where Andrew's job is ;)

So that's the scoop. Here's a couple more random pics from Thailand- wow is it paradise here! Though our hearts and heads remain heavy, we've tried to enjoy ourselves as much as possible here. We will definitely return!
Happy Birthday Andrew.

This is how we roll.

The hotel is so beautiful.

Watching Andrew play tennis this afternoon.

Ice cream date with my (little) man.

Beautiful beach!

Little lady Leyla.

First bananas (really the only thing I can make for her here). With no highchair when she doesn't want to sit on her own I have to hold her up with my legs.

Ready for the pool.

Andrew's mini-me!

Of course she'll sit for Daddy no prob ;)

Happy boy in his favorite shirt!

Hug from her big bro.

On the go!

Right now, my mood is: GRATEFUL. That we're all okay and not having to face the terribly scary things happening in Japan, that we're in such a beautiful place right now, and that we're coming home in just a couple days. So very much to be thankful for!

2 comments:

Ashley said...

Claire is fist pumping in excitement!!!

Prepare yourselves - it's snowing here today :(

Larisa said...

So glad you're updating this... I check daily to see that your family is doing well. Still thinking about you guys constantly!!! One thing you did not mention in your plan is... How on earth will you get your stuff back from Tokyo????

Good luck on your journey home. Love you much!

P.s. Maija is starting to give little smiles and then big open mouth ones. I think she resembles leyla when she does it :)