Tuesday, July 6, 2010

4th of July with the Jensens

Our wonderful Tokyo friends flew in from Texas to visit us this past weekend! So much fun. They were seriously the most ideal house guests. So low maintenance. Trish helped cook and even did dishes. She and I went to the gym together one morning and for a long walk around our neighborhood the next. Seph helped Andrew mow the lawn and rearrange his office. And stayed up ridiculously late two nights in a row smoking cigars and drinking scotch out on the patio and helping Andrew think through some of his current big ideas. And their 2.5 year old Kate, well she and Connor were just two peas in a pod and it was such fun to see them playing together again!

It was so fun to have two sets of little feet running around. They were in and out of the baby pool we set up on the patio so much that we finally just let them run around naked for most of the weekend. The weather couldn't have been more perfect while they were here (unlike today when it was hot as heck outside) so we mostly just hung out at home outside watching the kids play.

Connor just loved Kate so much. I'll never forget him running in to her bedroom as we were putting him down for bed to give her an extra blanket. "Night night Kate!" he'd say, and she'd say "Night night Connor!" So sweet. They were gone by the time Connor and I woke up on Monday morning (Andrew drove them to the airport) and the house felt so quiet and empty. Devastated is the only word to describe Connor when he learned Kate was gone. She was the first thing he asked for on Monday morning (as she had been on Saturday and Sunday as well) and when I told him that she had gone home he literally threw himself down in his crib and cried. Oh the drama!

On Friday night (only an hour or so after the Jensens arrived) we had a bbq. We also invited the Genereuxs over, who were also a part of Connor's baby group in Tokyo! Believe it or not they also live here in New Canaan now and we see Christine and Brendan just about every week. Christine is due with her second baby a couple weeks before me which is so neat. It was so fun to see the three kids together again!
Connor, Brendan and Kate:

Christine, Trish and I:

Saturday morning, Connor chillin in his new pool.

Helping Daddy water the bushes from the comfort of his pool.


Waiting to be sprayed.

Love it!

At one point Connor crawled up naked onto the tractor. Of course I grabbed the camera!

Just before heading out to dinner on Sat. night (we got a sitter for the kids).

On Sunday night we did sparklers and roasted smores. Pardon Connor's naked baby butt. I will say that it made for a fast clean-up. We easily took both kids right up to the bath to wash away the day's dirt, chocolate and marsh mellows! I love how he was waiting so patiently for his turn to roast a mashmellow here.


Love Kate's chocolate cheesy grin here!

Double chocolate-y kisses for Andrew!

Me and my boo.

Happy Birthday USA!

3 comments:

Melanie Smith said...

Is it pathetic that I checked your blog 3x tonight to see if pics were up yet? I loved seeing all the kiddos - you all look like you had a great time. Miss you all - please, next reunion, Orlando? Maybe I just need to convince the kids they need to come see Mickey and Carter!

Faithcola said...

Love the pics! What fun to see the three kids and the three mommies together! And Christine is expecting..Congrats! Happy 4th!

Seph, Trish, and Kate said...

We had such a terrific time! Thank you so much for your wonderful hospitality and your house is gorgeous! Melanie, we should definitely have an Orlando reunion. Kate already thinks she is a princess and she would probably freak out if she saw Snow White!