Saturday, October 8, 2011

Pumpkin Pancakes

While it used to be reserved just for the weekends, I now make a big breakfast (pancakes or french toast or eggs and toast or smoothies, etc) for the kids every morning. I make any pancakes, biscuits, etc from scratch. They always get some fruit too. It adds a little extra time to the morning routine, but I think its well worth it. Connor used to be a cereal and yogurt guy, or frozen waffles (so easy!), but we learned that he has a sensitivity to dairy products, yogurt in particular. And I'm not pleased with all the preservatives and other artificial crap found in boxed cereals these days (even the ones that claim to healthy and/or "all natural"!) Connor really loves helping to make these breakfasts- particularly cracking the eggs and mixing the ingredients, and doing any flipping (I always help him do that part). His favorite role- adding a couple chocolate chips to the pancakes (of course!) I hope someday he remembers our special breakfasts ;)

Just tried a new pumpkin pancake recipe that was a huge hit! I usually make my pancakes with wheat four and substitute soy or almond milk for the milk because of the kids' issues with dairy. These I just made with the regular white flour and they were beyond delicious!! I usually make a double batch, keeping a couple in the fridge and freezing the rest- they make for future quick and easy breakfasts!

I found this recipe on the blog, How to Simplify:
http://www.howto-simplify.com/2010/10/pumpkin-pancakes.html

Ingredients (I didn't have the cloves and they still turned out awesome). I also typically add a couple chocolate chips to each just because it makes my boy smile :) 
  • 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 tablespoons sugar
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
  • 1 cup milk
  • 6 tablespoons pumpkin puree
  • 2 tablespoons butter, melted
  • 1 egg
Directions:
  1. Stir together the flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, salt, nutmeg and cloves in a medium bowl.
  2. Whisk together the milk, pumpkin, butter and egg in a separate bowl. Fold this mixture into the dry ingredients.
  3. Melt butter in a skillet over medium heat.
  4. Pour 1/4 cup batter for each pancake and cook approximately 3 minutes per side.

No comments: