The following post is mostly for me, because I want to be able to look back and remember how great I felt this week ;)
For the record I've always wanted to be a runner. It's so not in my DNA but I'd like to think that what I lack in body type I make up for in heart ;) This weekend I'm crossing a biggie off my bucket list- I'm running my first ever 1/2 marathon! The Fairfield 1/2 marathon--13.1 miles or bust. When I started this running adventure a couple months ago I was running only 2-3 miles at a time (and proud of myself for that). When I saw that this race was coming up in June I thought- heck with it- let's do it! It's something I've always wanted to try for but the timing was never right.
I've been following an online training schedule, one for super novices like me whose goal is really only to finish the race. My longest long run was this past Sunday- a 10 miler. Apparently (per the schedule) the adrenaline of the race atmosphere will carry me through those last 3.1 miles. Here's hoping! I'm definitely proud of myself for accomplishing the training alone- as a stay at home mom (with one that rarely leaves my side) this hasn't been easy. I took it day by day- with a combo of running before the kids woke up, the YMCA with the daycare, stroller runs with Leyla, or on our home treadmill during nap time (did a lot of midweek runs this way). All of my Sunday morning long runs were done outside, around my (very hilly-eek!) neighborhood. During my last couple long runs I've tackled a biggie- Benedict Hill. The last .5-.75 miles of my street is a straight up (extremely steep) hill. For all intents and purposes let's call it a mountain. Advice given to me was that around mile 6 or so of the Fairfield 1/2 marathon there's a pretty substantial climb, so if I could find some good hills to run on tired legs (after 6 or so miles) it would be good for my training. Side note, before this training began I could barely walk up Benedict Hill, let alone run it. So imagine how proud I am when I've been able to run up it (without stopping, on tired legs) these last couple weeks! Towards the end of my 9 miler, when I was 3/4 of the way up the hill, a middle aged man came huffing (down) the hill. He gave me a wave and a fist pump (which I took to mean something along the lines of "carry on warrior!" ;) I was basically gasping for breath at that point so I could do little more than nod. During my climb this last run, the freaking Tour de France came down. I kid you not- there are no casual cyclists around here- everyone is dressed like, and seems to ride as fast/seriously as Lance Armstrong. So here I was huffing up it, when like 30 cyclists came speeding by. There were many waves and cheers and another few fist pumps. I sort of want to run up this "mountain" one more time, I'm convinced next time there would be a marching band ;)
Things I've learned during this training:
*I am capable of so much more than I ever gave myself credit for.
*5-6 miles is my happy distance going forward.
*Post-run endorphins rock! And I found that my energy levels have soared. Surprisingly, I have more energy at the end of the day when I've run 4-10 miles than on a day that I didn't run at all. Go figure.
*On really long runs, those gel/sport bean things are my friend.
*It feels good to be doing something that's just for me. And have no guilt about it.
*The only runs I regret are the ones I didn't do ;)
*I have, hands down, the most awesome and supportive husband- always happy to take over so I could get my runs in. He's been my biggest cheerleader too. My training inspired him to get out there more as well.
My Dad (more pics to come from his visit and our great Father's Day weekend!) took this picture of me this past Sunday, just as I was heading out for my 10 miler.
Wish me luck!!!
Tuesday, June 19, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


3 comments:
You have inspired me just with your words about training!!! Good luck on Saturday - I'll be sending shouts and good wishes from across the miles! Congratulations Julie - go get that 13.1 bumper sticker and wear it proud!!
If I can do it, you can do it. And I know 100% that you can and you will. I'll be thinking about you, and I can't wait to hear the good news that you crossed the finish line with a big smile on your face. Andrew better have some bubbly chillin' in the fridge for you to celebrate with after!
Go get it Julie! DO IT!
You are a rockstar!!!!!
Post a Comment